Thursday, July 31, 2008

Calling All Pittsburgh Nurses


I registered this domain with the intention of creating an online community for Pittsburgh Nurses to share their experiences, expertise, knowledge, & up to date scoop.


I am a full time mom & nurse who has been out of the nursing field until 2 years ago.

Why? To say home & raise my family. I didn't give it up completely, I did go casual after the birth of my first child. I managed to work casual up until a Case Management opportunity peeked my interest. I did this for almost a year. I resigned when my hubby was offered another job & we decided to have me stay home.


The summer prior to my youngest starting Kindergarten, I realized that it is probably time to find a job (once she started school all day). Who is going to hire me after being out of the clinical scene for about 3 years. It scared me because a girlfriend, who is also a nurse, told me that she was told she had to take a refresher course. Classes again? Oh God! Can I do this.


Then an unexpected opportunity fell into my lap. My neighbor told me that the school that my children go to did not have a nurse. So I hurried & updated my resume & applied for a sub position. I received a call 3 weeks later & was told to come in for orientation. This past year was my 2nd year as a permanent sub. I am no longer worried about the gap in years between jobs.


It was my anxiety about getting back into the work field that sparked this website.

I know there are nurses who blog in the Greater Pittsburgh area. If you are or know of a Burgh Nurse, please let me know & I will add your blog to the list! Just email whiteinc4(at)comcast.net and I would be more than happy to add them.



No comments: